Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Beginning of a Journey

I don't think I ever really update this blog.  I've had it for so long but I haven't really kept up with it.  I've decided to completely revamp this whole thing to accompany my whole new experience.  "Whole new experience?" you ask.  Well, let me tell you.


It all started a year ago or so when I was transitioning to post mission life.  I was still getting used to the idea of not being a missionary.  I, quite frankly, felt really emasculated.  I felt like there was a lot more than just a mantle that was taken away from me.  What was it?


I started researching and my mind came pressed on the subject of friendship.  Somehow the camaraderie and brotherhood of my mission was really important to me and I noticed that it was gone now.  Trying to recreate or regain that experience was impossible.  I started feeling like I was a weirdo because friendship was so important to me.  I looked online on the subject and didn't really find what I was looking for.  Everything seemed to be for a female audience.  I changed my approach and googled "male friendship."


The first site I came to is now my favorite blog and has seriously changed my life.  That blog is The Art of Manliness.  A.o.M resolved all of my concerns on the subject and had some other really awesome articles.  Something started to change little by little within me.  My eyes opened up to a new world where other men had a lot of concerns of emasculation that I had.  I wasn't a weirdo, I just recognized something that most men don't.


Eventually, I started reading Brett McKay's 5 article series on finding your true vocation in life.  Needless to say, I was inspired.  I then realized that everything I want to do and feel called to do involves my creative talents.  I realized that the job I would do for free would be drawing all day, it would be acting, it would be writing, or it would be making movies.  It seems like a new person was getting ready to be born within me.


My mind couldn't think of anything else.  I soon discovered that this new man within me was more than just an artist and a dreamer.  This new man was someone who was courageous, ambitious, and determined.  I soon discovered qualities surfacing within me that I've struggled for a long time to develop.  The last time I was this happy was on my mission.


So where has that led me today?  Well, that is to be explored in future posts and I hope that you take this journey with me.


Peace,
Stephen Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment